Monday, July 24, 2006

Single Releases 24/07/06

It Hurts (Angels & Airwaves) - You've heard their debut right? Well this one sound almost exactly the same but, crucially, isn't as good as the first one...and the first one wasn't so hot in the first place.

Hypnotic (Craig David) - He's still plugging away isn't he. Surely he must give up the ghost soon; mind you, this sounds like he already has.

Save Us (Feeder) - One of their slower ones and, as such, really not my cup of tea.

Stars Are Blind (Paris Hilton) - Well really this is the kind of thing that you don't want to like. Indeed many won't even give it a chance for varying reason but you know me, I'm willing to listen to anything at least once. And if you ignore the fact that Miss Hilton probably had very little to do with this other than turning up to "sing" it's actually quite the summery hit pop song. Yes it's a little like Gwen Stefani doing a UB40 cover, but that doesn't need to be a bad thing. Of course you just know that this is the only good song she'll ever do.

Get Together (Madonna) - Hmm, its a strange week when Paris Hilton can out-do Madonna in the catchy singles department but although I do like this tune, it's a litte pedestrian for a single. As part of the album it's great, as a stand-alone track it's not the best she's ever done.

Monster Hospital (Metric) - Ok so they're a bit ramshackle at times, but I do like Metric and this is a catchy number. I fought the law and the law won indeed. Will it be a hit...? Well come on, I'm championing them so of course it won't be!

Borderline (Michael Gray) - As in, "borderline sounds like those other two songs you did a while back".

Song B (Mumm-ra) - If I was 12/13 again this would quite probably be the coolest thing in the world; as it stands I can admire it's perky pop charms without quite getting too carried away.

Snitch (Obie Trice) - I liked that one about Teeth he did. He was quite humourous then. Now he's gone all gangsta and it's almost as laughable as when Christina Millan tried that route.

Minimal (Pet Shop Boys) - Officially their best single since 1993's Can You Forgive Her (which is not to say that their entire output since then has been bad) and quite probably is hanging around the verge of being one of their 10 best singles ever. I've not got around to remixing my own version yet, but I'll be sure to find some way of posting it here when I do.

Trouble (Ray Lamontagne) - This guy is a bit of an acquired taste I suppose. And it's not a tatse I've acquired.

Sensitivity (Shapeshifters) - Mmm, this is ok but isn't actually good. I doubt it will get the success of Lola's Theme.

Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol) - There are some bands who I don't particularly like who have big success but I can see why they have huge hits and big followings. Snow Patrol are not one of those bands. Their appeal totally passes me by and dirges like this have little chance of me changing my mind.

Tell Me Why (Supermode) - So ok, a while back I bemoaned the trend for taking early 80's "classics", giving them a techno beat and having large breasted women in the video...but occasionally the rule proves the exception. Becuase this takes the Bronksi Beat "Smalltown Boy" riff, and that is genius.

You Only Live Once (The Strokes) - The Strokes annoy me really. I hear a new song of theirs for the first time and invariably think that it's quite catchy but then by the time I get to the end of it, I'm already sick of it. This is another of those occasions.

You're My Flame (Zero 7) - It's another slice of ok chilled ambience that never quite makes it off the ground.

No comments: