Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Single Releases 05/06/06

Maneater (Nelly Furtado) - Ok so it's finally out in the shops, and I know I've been banging on about it for ages, but it really is bloody brilliant. Sod Gnarls Barkley, this really is the best single of the year so far.

Follow Me Home (Sugababes) - This, on the other hand, isn't. But then I've never been a fan of dull pop ballads. Still it will keep them in the public eye until they surprise me with another Hole In The Head/Push The Button type stomper.

Sooner Or Later (Duncan James) - Yes Duncan, except it should be sooner rather than later. As in sooner rather than later you are going to realise that this just isn't going to work. I thought the other clowns were bad enough, but even Anthony Costa's record was better than this.

The Youngest Was The Most Loved (Morrissey) - Erm, well you know me and the Mozza. I mean it's not a bad track, but where exactly it's any different to his last four singles or so is beyond me.

World At Your Feet (Embrace) - Just to prove that the FA have as much clue about other industries as they do about running the national game they choose Embrace to deliver the rousing and anthemic official England World Cup song. I'm just surprised anyone was, well, surprised when this turned out to be dull and boring. I mean it's akin to asking Ted Bundy to chaperone your teenage daughter.

Say Somethin' (Mariah Carey) - Or just continue pushing the boundaries of how little clothes you can wear without it being obscene. Although really, it is already obscene. Anyway, this is not a bad tune but why don't you play the "when did Mariah Carey become a slut" game with me and Jenny Lewis sometime.

Never Went To Church (The Streets) - Much like "When You Wasn't Famous" was a poor man's "You're Fit And You Know It", this is a poor man's "Dry Your Eyes." Which isn't to say its a particularly bad song, it's just not a very good one.

Monster (The Automatic) - Not bad, but not all that great.

Dance In My Blood (Men Women & Children) - Absoultely barmy, but very very catchy. With a chorus you won't get out of your head for days.

Sing It Out (Hope Of The States) - I love this, DESPITE the fact that Zane Lowe is always banging on about how great it is. So if I love it even with that "recommendation" on it's back, this must be good, right?

Not Ready To Make Nice (The Dixie Chicks) - Well you could have fooled me! Anyways, whereas once the Dixie's were a welcome breath of fresh air to the Nashville scene now they are just as air-brushed and strangled as any number of good looking Country women.

Anysound (The Vines) - Hardly earth shattering, but a welcome return for the band.

No comments: