Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Single Releases 19/06/06

Supermassive Black Hole (Muse) - Or also known as the moment that Muse went "pop"; (Popjustice were right, this does sound a bit like Britney's "Do Something"). But that's no bad thing. Of course the Muse fans will insist it's the usual Muse stuff, but we know differently. This is class in a glass as someone might say. They've never sounded better (and contrary to popular belief, I do quite like Muse in a "I'd listen but never buy" kind of way, so I'm not just loving them now they're "pop").

Blood (Editors) - Yes, its a good song. But isn't this the 37th time it's been released or something? New balls please.

Valerie (The Zutons) - To be honest this one underwhelmed me on the album (indeed, as did much of the album) and whilst it's alright, it's not exactly brilliant.

X (Liberty X) - Well at least Jessica looks nice in the video. But that seriously is the only plus point about this awful record. Xtraordinary? Xcruciating more like it. The "X" are outstaying their welcome by a long, long time now.

Rooftops (Lost Prophets) - Look, I quite enjoy listening to the two Lost Prophets albums I have from time to time. They're hardly ones that I keep at the top of my "listening list" but occasionally I'll see them on the shelf, think "oh, they're quite good" and give them a spin. This is much like the rest of their output (with the exception of that pretty wonderful Shinobi Dragon whatever track) in that I quite enjoy it whilst listening to it, yet have no desire to hear it again once I have.

Turn Into (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) - Two in a row. Two absolutely cracking singles in a row. Whatever next? They're starting to live up to the hype now.

Ain't No Other Man (Christina Aguilera) - The C-Dawg is back. And she still owes me £4.50. Anyways, this is quite good, in a jazzy upbeat kind of way. And should be enough to see off Beyonce in this summer's battle of the bints. (And by the way, someone please tell Beyonce that "B'Day" is not a good title for an album).

Kick Push (Lupe Fiasco) - Surprisingly good this one. It has a breezy summer vibe and some cracking horns and really should be a big hit now the sun is out.

Extravaganza (Jamie Foxx ft Kanye West) - Somebody please get Jamie Foxx a clue, or at least put someone in charge of him who will tell him that his music is rubbish. It's always a pleasure to see Kanye up in the grill, but that's the only plus point about this track.

Infra Red (Placebo) - As you would expect from Brian and the boys. Still, they've definately had a bit of an upswing at the moment and this is a decent track which will at least please the rabid fans I would think.

Dirty Little Secret (All American Rejects) - Yes, you've heard this kind of thing before, but when it's as bright and breezy as this is, it's churlish to complain.

Mas Que Nada (Sergio Mendes ft. Black Eyed Peas) - What next, Taboo rapping to the Birdie Song? Fergie getting down to a bit of Agadoo? Apl giving up his day job as England's left back to rap over the Minder theme tune? Will I Am teaming up with David Hasslehoff? Seriously though, is there any tune/sample the BEP won't use? To be honest, I'd rather listen to the proper version, without all the rapping.

She's Attracted To (The Young Knives) - Well I' m sorry, but any song about the pitfalls of your girlfriend's mum being attracted to you is an instant classic in my book. Especially when in real life, girlfriends mother's don't tend to like me very much. And as if that wasn't enought, it has a la la la la la style singalong in it. Genius.

Desperado (Journey South) - Oh. My. God. Kill me now.

Don't Mistake Me (Keisha White) - Well bless her for trying anyway.

An Easier Affair (George Michael) - Surprisingly this isn't as bad as you might fear, but neither is it anywhere near a return to the kind of form that made George a superstar. Still, it's quite catchy and should go down well with his fans.

Stranger In Moscow (Michael Jackson) - Interesting Matt-Fact here, this is the only MJ single I ever bought. That is all.

No comments: