Friday, July 29, 2005

The Raveonettes - Pretty In Black

Well this is a CD which will go down in the varied history of CD purchases as the CD I bought purely because it had four extra bonus tracks on it. Honestly. I hadn't heard a Raveonettes song before, and I really did look at the cd case and think "wow, four bonus tracks...that's really good value" and that is why I bought it.

But anyway, what of the end result? Surprisingly good as it turns out. There is very much a 50's pop feel to this and to me there is often the feel that the songs would play off wonderfully in a David Lynch or Quentin Tarrantino production (and yes, I do mean that as a compliament :D ).

Here Comes Mary sounds like the Everley Brothers at their best, Twilight had the amazingly funny moment upon hearing for the first time (before knowing the name of the tune) of thinking this sounds like the Twlight Zone theme and bonus track Black Wave is the kind of haunting melody that sticks in your brain immediately.

The standouts for me are Ode To LA (in which the Phil Spector sound is aided by Mr Spector himself on backing vocals) and Love In A Trashcan, with its handclaps (and boy, do I love handclaps).

I can take or leave the cover versions (Everyday, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, My Boyfriend's Back) which really only have comedy value and some of the tracks are too samey, but for an impulse buy this is pretty good stuff and a welcome addition to my CD collection.

Icon's View - 3 1/2 out of 5

No comments: