Saturday, March 01, 2008

Not Sokute (EP) - Soko

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Cute. Funny. French.

Is it any wonder I'm falling in love with Soko.

You might have been lucky enough to hear the rather wonderful "I'll Kill Her", which I'm reliably informed is a myspace "phenomenon", but that only scratches the surface of Soko.

It is of course difficult to predit how a career will go based on one debut EP but there's at least enough on this to suggest that her debut album (apparently produced by Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - which excites me even more) could be quite awesome.

Her lilting French accent adds a playful charm to her English lyrics, and her sugary delivery makes the sheer vitriol in I'll Kill Her all the more amazingly brilliant. If we're being lazy, think Feist with added bite.

On Shitty Today, Soko laments that she's not the perfect girl. I don't know. She just might be.

No comments: