Saturday, May 24, 2008

...Earth To The Dandy Warhols...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ever since the critically mauled, and poor selling, Welcome To The Monkey House, The Dandy Warhols seem to have eschewed any notion of radio-friendly hits in favour of "out there" psychedelia. Which is something of a sad notion to me. Whilst Monkey House may have been a step too far towards mainstream gloss (although I still think it was an album that had more than it's fair share of moments), Come Down and Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia managed to meld catchy melodies with a more "credible" (I use that term under duress) ambiance.

And if their sixth studio album isn't as disappointing as Odditoruim or Warlords Of Mars was last time out, it still can't be said to be a return to form.

As even the worst of the Dandy Warhols back catalogue, Earth To The Dandy Warhols has its moments, primarily The Legend Of The Last of The Outlaw Truckers and Mis Amigos, far too often it descends into what I would probably describe as noise for the sake of it.

Next time around, if I'm still listening by then, I'd appreciate a few more tunes.

No comments: