Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Best Of...GIRLS ALOUD

Right as a bit of a commemoration of the double Girls Aloud concert whammy, I've decided to list my Top 5 Girls Aloud songs (in reverse order for added suspense);

5 - Love Bomb
This sorts out the true fans from those people who follow trends doesn't it? Only available on the original edition of the Sound Of The Underground album, this is perhaps quite rubbish if I were to really think it through, but it's just so damn catchy that I can't help loving it.
4 - Stop
This one has a bit of a gangsta rap kind of feel to it's opening (well, sort of...) and is one of those great songs that just builds and builds as it goes along. Nadine does quite a lot in this one as well, which is good as she is the best singer.
3 - Wake Me Up
Power pop at it's finest (almost). This was the track that I picked out as a single when I heard the album, and thank goodness that the record company agreed. Still, even if the song had been rubbish, it would have gained legendary status for the "moet in mud, bottle of bud" line alone.
2 - No Good Advice
Forget about the over-rated Sound Of The Underground single, and instead look to this pumping tune which owes more than a little to The Knack's sublime My Sharona. It's better with the swearing in though isn't it?
1 - The Show
What can I say? This, for me, is still the quintessential Girls Aloud song. If Kraftwerk were to suddenly find five women and have them front a band, this would be the end result. I loved this song the first time I heard it, and I still love it to this day. In many respects, this is the finest pop song this century so far.

No comments: