Tuesday, May 31, 2005

THE BEST OF...Pet Shop Boys (singles)

This is to commemorate the release of the Back To Mine compilation (review soon) from the boys.

10 - Flamboyant
Their most recent effort as of the time of writing, and a brilliant return to form. If, as they have led us to believe, their next album, due in Spring 2006, is along these lines, it will be very good indeed.
9 - Rent
A song too controversial to be granted an American singles release, but nevertheless this stands up against any of the more succesful singles of the period. Some people think it's a lament on the state of Thatcher's Britain, some say its about male prostitution...I just say it's a bloody catchy tune.
8 - It's A Sin
Perhaps the most grandiose PSB single ever released, complete with nonsensical astronaut count down and latin prayers, this is a stomper every step of the way. Pointless trivia, they successfully sued Johnathan King when he suggested they had plagurised the tune for this from something or other.
7 - I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Anymore
One of the boys blinding song titles, and another cracking tune. One of the sexual intrigue cannon, this is all about a love falling apart. Not something I would strictly know about, but I can imagine being the singer in this kind of situation.
6 - What Have I Done To Deserve This?
Does anyone really know what this is about? And does it really matter when the tune is this good? I actually prefer the Shep Pettibone mix of this, so you can imagine how good that must be.
5 - West End Girls
Where the fame and fortune started, and arguably the first ever "Rap" number one in America...if we aren't getting to technical about these things.
4 - Always On My Mind
Whereas Elvis' version just made you think he was a complete loser (and don't get me started on Chris DeBurgh's version), this up-beat version makes Neil Tennant come across as a cool cad who will probably get the girl (ok, bear with me on that one) anyway, despite her knowing excatly how he won't treat her.
3 - So Hard
The Boys aren't particularily keen on this one, saying it was out of place on the otherwise mellow Behaviour album, but I think it is absolutely superb. Another of the sexual intrigue ones, with the all time classic line "we've both given up smoking, 'cause it's fatal, so who's matches are those?".
2 - Can You Forgive Her?
Oh for the sunny days of the summer of 1993, when I was 14 years old and didn't quite understand the subtle nuances of the story in the lyrics of the song. Still it's rollocking tune and I love the way that the person in the story is completely in the wrong but switches the blame to the woman. A good life lesson there.
1 - Being Boring
Originally not one of my favourites, but as the years go by I can't deny it's all-round awesomeness. A sad tale, beautifuly told.

No comments: