Thursday, May 12, 2005

Holly Palmer - I Confess

It's upon listening to a CD like this that you realise that nine times out of ten there is no justice in the world of pop music. Becuase quite frankly, this is one of the best pop music albums you are ever likely to hear (knocking the crap out of anything the likes of Britney Spears or Kylie Minogue could do) but chances are you won't have heard of Holly, and are likely never going to. Apart from now, when I've mentioned her to you.

I had to stumble across this one thanks to an article in Playboy, and a review in the Mail On Sunday, but I sure am glad I stumbled across it. This is funky, quirky and, above all, sexy pop and takes roughly about one listen for half the tunes to be lodged in your head.

Title track I Confess is the kind of sassy and funky track which would be a hit in any circumstances, Does Your Mama is the best Avril Lavigne track that Avril could never do herself, and the Dr Dre produced Jumping Jack is superb. The album falls down slightly on the last two tracks (and I hate the MP3 player runing 20 minutes of silence on track 10 before some stupid speaking part kicks in) but from tracks 1-8 this is quite simply the essence of pure pop. It's intelligent, funky, danceable, hummable, sexy and, quite frankly, brilliant. Do youself a favour and check this out.

Dean's View 4 1/2 out of 5

No comments: