Monday, January 08, 2007

Single Releases 08/01/07

Well I ask you...is there any real point in doing this anymore? Some may label the new chart regulations as brilliant...I don't. It's just wrong. It's plain wrong.

But as long as record companies actually release singles I shall be here, rounding up the best of them, criticising the worst of them.

Seems like Nerina Pallot's Learning To Breathe IS out this week. It's still very good.

U2 is out this week apparently as well. Look, I had to pad out last weeks selections somehow didn't I?

The Hedrons released their 3rd single this week, the rather nifty Heatseeker. I know you're sick of me banging on about how good the Hedrons are and all that, but you need to be told. THEY ARE REALLY RATHER GOOD YOU KNOW! So go on, check them out today. You can download the single for 99p or something, which has to be worth a gamble doesn't it?

The Automatic return with Raoul. It's ok, but once again is no "Monster".

Amy Winehouse tells us "You Know I'm No Good" which leaves her open to many a sarcastic comment. But I'm going to resist. Not least because this is an alright song. I still can't quite see why she seems to spark up the critical acclaim that she most certainly does, but credit where credit is due, this is a good one.

Jarvis tells us "Don't Let Him Waste Your Time" this week. Originally written for Nancy Sinatra, this is Cocker at his best. Of course it's no "Different Class" which will probably mean it sinks without trace, but whilst it may not catch the zeitgeist like Cocker once did, it's still a superb song.

Kelis releases Little Star, for no discernable reason other than the fact that Cee-Lo guests on it. Come on love, it's going to be stupid if you don't release "I Don't Think So" soon.

Barry Scott releases some Cillit Bang song this week. GENIUS. Or not.

Siobhan Donaghy is on the release schedules for this week as well, although I'm far from sure that she is actually releasing anything. Still, she started to annoy me at the end of last year with that diatribe against pop music. What she said actually made some sense, but anything I've heard from her in the past few years has been underwhelming to say the least. Still until an album gets a release I can live in hope she's going to match her terrific solo debut.

No comments: