Monday, January 15, 2007

Single Releases 15/01/07

Ho hum. Here we go again. A second week of the "NEW REGULATIONS" and I'm less convinced than ever. Still, lets plough on.

The View are on many "tips" lists for 2007...not least mine. Same Jeans is an instant classic and should be huge. And should see me get at least one out of 10 right.

There is a similar buzz surrounding Just Jack. And I can both a) see why and b) see it ending in tears. I like Starz In Their Eyes, but I don't think it's going to capture the imagination like some people are hoping.

It's a similar thing with The Good, The Bad And The Queen really. Damon Albarn's latest venture sounds decent enough, but isn't going to capture the hearts and minds of the Blur/Gorillaz crowd. I know that's hardly his intention, but still he's not done it to flop, but Kingdom Of Doom doesn't quite grab your attention like you might want it to.

Whisper it quietly, but I don't mind The Ordinary Boys...up to a point anyway. Sadly I Luv U (and has there ever been a more depressingly titled single ever that hasn't involved Prince?) isn't one of those occasions. I can sort of see what the gallant Preston has tried to do; it hasn't worked.

Annie, Let's Not Wait by the Guillemots is another one of those tracks that I want to love, but just can't quite love with all my heart.

I didn't like Jamie T's previous efforts. His latest one, Calm Down Dearest, doesn't even rank close to them in my eyes. You do the maths.

Something that IS quite brilliant this week however is A House Is Not A Home by Field Music. It's catchy, funny and utterly bonkers and is presumably the kind of song that should be a HUGE hit under these new chart regulations...but no, no doubt another plodding indie track by Razorlight or someone equally dull will take it's place in next week's top 10 instead of this brilliant slice of mayhem.

Luke Toms, on the other hand, seems to have taken every idea under the sun and plonked it on his Fools With Money EP, to little discernable effect. Dull and derivative. Still even that is better than the Blood Brothers single Set Fire To The Face On Fire. It appears to just be lots of noise. And not in a good way either.

No comments: