Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Single Reviews 03/04/06

Crazy (Gnarls Barkley) - Ok, so there is little point reviewing this considering it has just made history and become the first song to hit number one on downloads alone, but I can't very well ignore it. I like it, but every time I hear it I get this sneaking suspicion that it's not quite as good as I would like it to be if you catch my drift.

Why Wont You Give Me Your Love (The Zutons) - Upon first listen this was a cracker. But sadly, repeat listens have somewhat laid the tune bare for what it really is. It's decent, but it's not all that good. Which in a funny way kind of sums up my whole thoughts on the Zutons themselves.

One (Mary J Blige & U2) - A pop band does a dodgy cover and it's the end of the musical world as we know it...Mary J Blige murders the U2 "classic" and it's the greatest thing ever. Listen, if you want to hear a version of this song that really is excellent, check out Johnny Cash's stab at it. Then you really will see how crap this effort is.

The Fallen (Franz Ferdinand) - Ok so here is the FF chart. I loved their 2nd album when it came out, cooled on it considerably and currently think it is way better than I gave it credit for when I had a downer on them. And as luck would have it this is one of the stand out tracks on it You Could... as well. Add in a cracking "B" side and you can't really go wrong.

Speechless (MishMash) - The Scissor Sisters have a lot to answer for. I dare say without their success, this would never have left the drawing board...and we'd have been a whole lot better off.

Wigwam (Wigwam) - Betty Boo. It's been a long time coming, but finally she's back on the scene...ok, so it's hardly up there with Jesus rising from the dead, but back in the day Betty Boo was relatively entertaining (and Sharon, if you read this it's not too late to give me back my Betty Boo album) and throw in one of the geezer's from Blur and you have a great "comeback" single. Ok, so it's throwaway pop, but I defy you not to be singing along when you hear it.

Creepin' Up The Backstairs (The Fratellis) - "Indie" it may be, but there is on hell of a catchy pop melody lurking around in this one.

The Blues Are Still Blue (Belle & Sebastian) - It's got a retro sound that I can't quite love, but all the same this is a perfectly pleasant pop tune.

Laffy Taffy (DL4) - Terrible. Quite possibly the worst record so far this year. Yes, it's THAT bad.

White Russian Galazy (The Crimea) - Ok, so I believe this is a re-release, but then this is a song that deserves one. An overlooked gem, so please Britain, don't make the same mistake twice.

No comments: