Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Feeling - Twelve Stops And Home

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Ok, so you know me. I heard Sewn and thought well that's a load of forgettable nonsense. Which at the time it was. But then I'm not one to totally close my ears and although initially I had little love for Fill My Little World it grew on me. So, thus, the album finds its way into my collection.

Is it the most exciting, vibrant and fresh album you'll ever hear? Not bloody likely; it's firmly entranced in its 1970's rock vibe from start to finish. But whilst the concept doesn't really set your heart on fire the execution has a charm that you cannot ignore.

Sewn is a mechancolly number that, retrospectively, is deserving of the buzz around The Feeling that it helped to create; Fill My Little World is good enough to keep that buzz going. The singles aren't the only strong points either. Kettle's On is the kind of epic that shows, just plucking a for instance out of the air here, Snow Patrol how "epic" really should be done, whilst Rose is a tender moment that sticks in the heart.

Of course too much of the same can get a little overbearing (Same Old Stuff ironically proving that point) but for the most part this is a hook-laden catchy pop record. And sometimes, that's enough.

Jeff Lynne would be proud.

No comments: