Monday, August 28, 2006

Single Releases 28/08/06

Ok, so I'm going to try to be a little less of a misery guts this week. We'll see how long it lasts.

Charlotte Gainsbourg hits the streets this week with her wonderful new single The Songs That We Sing. It's much more than your typical "actress turns singer" vanity project. It's brilliant.

Also quite brilliant is We're From Barcelona by I'm From Barcelona. I've had this playing on the turntables for ages, and it's still brilliant. Jaunty happy pop, kind of like a less morbid version of the Eels. And hey, you know how I love my "la la na na" choruses. It's also got an awesome video, which you should check out.

Speaking of "la la na na" the Fratellis release Chelsea Dagger this week and whilst it may not be quite of the class of Henrietta, although lets face it the video has more classy totty than you can shake a stick at.

Justin Timberlake's SexyBack gets an official release this week. It's brilliant and is up there with SOS, Maneater and Crazy for pop single of the year.

Talking of quality pop, it's confession time here. I always thought Leave (Get Out) by JoJo was an awesome pop tune. She's back with Too Little Too Late which obviously doesn't come close but is still a perfectly pleasant teeny pop ballad.

I also like Never Be Lonely by The Feeling, and that's arguably the best track from their album.
And hell, I might even have something good to say about Pink's U & Ur Hand and indeed it's a decent tune. But once again the video, where Pink writhes about in various states of undress, seems a little hypocritical given her criticism of certain other artists.

Of course it wouldn't be my singles round up if I wasn't down on a few of the efforts this week.

Karen Overton is hot, there is no question, but her version of Your Loving Arms is a trifle dull. Still, she'll look good on the cover no doubt. There is no need for Mark Morrison or Manowar to be still attempting to crack the charts either. And to be honest, I didn't think Don McLean was still alive.

There are also other abominations out this week, but for once I am going to leave it there. See, I can say nice things every once in a while.

No comments: