Monday, August 21, 2006

Single Releases 21/08/06

So it's that time of week again. Yes that time of week where I am a grumpy old man and bemoan the fact that there's nothing decent single's wise to listen to.

I mean if you like Keane they've got a new one out this week. Crystal Ball is another of those songs that is perfectly decent but that doesn't actually make me any more likely to purchase their album. Ditto Morrissey's In The Future When All's Well. I've heard worse, but I'm no more likely to buy one of his records now than I was yesterday when I hadn't heard it.

There's quite a bit of "crunk" (I believe that might be a term) out this week. It ranges from passable (Missy Elliot) to terrible (Field Mob feat. Ciara) via pointless (Pharrell ft. Kanye West). In fact I am still at a loss as to how Pharrell and Kanye West could team up and come up with something so, well, dull.

Matt Willis takes another step to greatness with Hey Kid. No, who am I kidding? Whislt I quite like the track it's hardly the best thing I've ever heard ever is it? Still there is hope for him yet.

Betty Curse has another stab at "making it" as well this week. God This Hurts stradles the pop and goth boundaries and is, well, quite excellent...though sadly not as quite excellent as her last effort.

The Crimea wash completely over me again, I'll be honest and admit that I couldn't even bring myself to properly listen to Daniel Powter's new one and Dashboard Confessional are as dull as ever.

Two oldies have a stab at chart success this week. Paul Simon makes a better fist of it that the Rolling Stones, who have now slipped into self-parody mode without the plus point of actually realising it.

Stacie Orrico is as pointless as ever, that Lazy B Underwear Goes Into The Pants song has to be one of the worst of the year and I've never really understood the appeal of The Storys.

Still, fear not, there is some good stuff out there this week.

Tom Yorke's Harrowdown Hill is sublime and just about stays the right side of the "annoyingly random" side of his repetoire. Talking Back Sunday's Twenty Twenty Surgery is one of those that starts off a bit crap but then hits you with its punk-pop-rock brilliance. And finally, we get to my particular choice of the week, Get Myself Into It by The Rapture. I defy you not to get the groove going when you listen to that one.

Ooh and I almost forgot, but Gogol Bordello's (I'd check the spelling but the office manager is hovering) Not A Crime is out this week as well. And that's bloody fantastic. So yeah, that actually might be the single of the week actually.

No comments: