Friday, August 04, 2006

The Hedrons LIVE

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Hmm, deep fried crab sticks. There is something to be said for them. Especially as part of a £8.50 all you can eat Chinese buffet. Anyway, we had our usual meal, a few drinks in some nearby pubs and it was off to the Barfly.

I'd forgotten I'd been to the Barfly before, and it was relieving when we got in and it wasn't as empty as when Gee had been to see The Like there. Sure a lot of it was family and friends of the support acts, but there was a fair turn out for the Hedrons themselves.

We "watched the support act" with one of the Hedrons, the delightfuly named Chi. Little were we to know that one of us would get a lot closer to the Hedrons later in the night.

The Hedrons may only just have got around to releasing their first single (the incendiary and uproaring Be My Friend), but this was no sparse set. In fact it was filled with potential singles and, to my ears anyway, found pretty much the perfect balance between "rock out" and "melodic" and did more than enough to suggest that if they get the breaks, there should be a successful future ahead for the Hedrons.

The highlight though came towards the end of the set when the lead singer, Tippi, went walkabouts into the crowd. Quite apart from me thinking at that precise moments that this was one of the coolest things ever, the clincher came when she, well, took the piss out of the stationary Gee and his "Phil Hewitt watching Steps" arms folded "routine". I kid you not, I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier and I feel I should take this opportunity to thank Tippi for providing me with a new joke which will no doubt last me for the next 12 months.

But anyway, if you get the chance go and see the Hedrons; you won't be disappointed. For once, all the things the NME said about them were true!

No comments: