Friday, June 08, 2007

I Created Disco - Calvin Harris

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


The problem with jumping to prominence with a song as great as Calvin Harris' Acceptable In The 80's is that it creates such a high anticipation for the subsequent album.

And whilst there isn't anything quite as immediately catchy as that tune, there is a fair few tracks on I Created Disco that are almost as good.

Merrymaking At My Place (which must be an "homage" to/piss take of LCD Soundsystem's Daft Punk Are Playing At My House) is fun and funky, Neon Rocks is a slower song, but still insanely catchy and Vegas takes the same chord structure as Acceptable In The 80's and yet comes up with something largely different and altogether wonderful.

There's few moments that don't delight on some level, and whilst some may level criticism at Harris' singing, for me the fact that he isn't a great (or even good) singer just adds a level of charm to the whole thing. Also a plus point is that the lyrics, whilst never trying to be as important as the tunes, are quite funny too and there's often a wry smile to be had.

Yes, it is unashamedly "80's" and "pop" but like the much underrated Darkdancer by Les Rhythms Digitales, it's a great "retro" treat that manages to sound fresh as well.

Quite simply this is a monster of an album, and if I had any talent at all it's the sort of angle that I'd want to make. Whether that's much of a recommendation for you is open to question, but obviously, it's more than enough for me.

No comments: