Sunday, October 23, 2005

Nine Black Alps LIVE

In one of those nice "couldn't they have announced it earlier" moments I've already seen Nine Black Alps live supporting Weezer. Which in fact turned out to be a good thing, because I certainly didn't "see" Nine Black Alps on this occasion.

But to backtrack a little, the evening started out with a cracking little meal at some Italian restaurant. The spicy prawn fritters were alright, but the duck thing was bloody gorgeous. The sweet was less so, given that it simply appeared to be a cup of coffee with a dollop of ice cream in it (no, seriously that's what it was) but in a kind of bizarre way it was good.

So after a mini pub crawl around Liverpool we finally get to the venue, the first time I've graced the halls of the Liverpool Carling Acadmey 2. First shock was the fact that NBA were scheduled to be on at 9, with a 10pm curfew! 10pm curfew on a Saturday night? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?

Then when actually getting into the venue, we then realised that we were not going to get a great view of the band as they performed their set. In fact, I wasn't going to get any kind of view of any of them. Well that's a slight exaggeration. I saw one of the guitarists fleetingly. To cut a long story short, I'm sure the venue is great if you turn up really early and manage to get onto the actual floor space, but if you don't you may well find yourself without a view of the musicians.

Still, at least it wasn't a teasely group, so there are worse concerts where this could have happened. As such though my atmosphere was slightly off, although as the drink kicked in I found myself enjoying the music. They threw in some new songs, or at the least songs that I hadn't heard before, and it was a polished performance, albeit one perhaps lacking the spark that really would have set the evening on fire.

Then came more comedy gold as we left the venue. I saw some rather buxom lass that had a nice...well you get the idea. Anyway, I give Gee man the nod to check out the bintage and he falls about laughing. No, she wasn't ugly or anything like that, but was actually a girl who used to work where he does who he just happened to fancy the pants off. So it's proof that occasionally Gee does have some good taste :D

No comments: