Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Zutons - Tired Of Hanging Around

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

First things first, I've never really liked The Zutons. I dismissed them as Coral clones in the beginning (not that I ever liked The Coral) and although the odd single occasionally catches my ear I can never really bring myself to like them.

Indeed my one abiding memory of seeing them support REM at Old Trafford Cricket Ground is the sound of them being taunted by a large vocal group of Mancunians.

So really I'm probably not the best person to be reviewing a Zutons long player. But you know me, I won't let my preconceptions get in the way of giving it a fair listen.

The lead single, Why Won't You Give Me Your Love, was decent, and benefitted from the increased vocal presence of saxophonist Abi Harding. Oh Stacey (Look What You’ve Done!) is another grower and is perhaps the most "upbeat" track on the disc. Valerie is another nice track, and a decent enough single, but after that things get a little less decent.

Too much of the rest sounds like The Zutons trying to be someone else and there is just far too much of the "woe is me" style ramblings about the pressure after delivering one hit record. The title track is a turgid slice of rock, and It's The Little Things We Do isn't much better and indeed may have some of the worst lyrics you have ever heard in a pop song.

So all in all, I still don't "get" The Zutons. Too much of this album meanders around without ever quite reaching any discernable destination.

No comments: