Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Zeitgeist - Smashing Pumpkins

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


My "history" with the Smashing Pumpkins is a strange one. Prior to 1998's Adore I ignored them. After 1998's Adore, I also ignored them (save for buying their greatest hits album and never listening to it). Quite why I don't know. Even back at High School people were recommending them to me, but I never bit. Neither do I know why I "bit" in 1998 but the fact I did (and it coincided with my university years) means that I have an inexplicable soft-spot for them.

Of course Zeitgeist (a naff title, and which the album itself points to Billy Corgan not being anywhere near the Zeitgeist) is hardly a Smashing Pumpkins album. The feeling from the off (their being only one other former member of the group on this record) is that this is merely a Smashing Pumpkins album because no-one would care in the slightest if it were a Billy Corgan solo album or even, god forbid, a Zwan one.

I'm sure long term Pumpkins fans will find something to enjoy here (I particularly liked Bring The Light and Tarantula) but most people will just let it pass them by. It's not particularly awful, but neither is it likely to propel Corgan back to the heights he once was at.

No comments: